901 S. Ellwood Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21224 -- Archdiocese of Baltimore
Our Parish History - 1854 to 2016 - 162 Years!
The history of the parish can perhaps be defined as the collective accomplishments and failures, hopes and disappointments, prayers and sacrifices of its people. During the course of this history, many people arrive on the scene, some by choice, many by circumstance!
St. Brigid Parish was established in 1854 in East Baltimore as a mission from Saint Patrick Church in Fells Point. Reverend James Gibbons, newly ordained, was assigned as the first resident Pastor. He would, in later life, be renowned throughout the World in being named "Cardinal" the first in these United States.
As the community of Canton developed, the Irish immigrants were among the first to settle in the
neighborhood church, named after their Patron Saint. The German immigrants followed and
established Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ in Highlandtown. The Polish people came next and
established Saint Casimir Church. Finally, the Italian immigrants came and established Our Lady of
Pompeii Church. Truly, it can be said that the Canton/Highlandtown community is the "Melting Pot"
of the East Baltimore Metropolitan area, strongly founded in its ethnic religious background.
Throughout its over 150 years of service to the community, St. Brigid Parish has touched the lives of
the families of the Canton Community. Many of those families have established strong roots, any
have moved on, many have gained renown for their own unnoticed -- except by their families and
close friends. However, each has contributed in some way to the evolution of Saint Brigid Parish.